✍️ The Art of Not Knowing: The Stories We Tell Between the Lines
Sometimes I wonder how many misunderstandings in this world begin in exactly the same way: Not because someone lied. Not because someone intended harm. But because a gap appeared — and someone filled it.
Human beings seem to have a remarkable talent for completing unfinished pictures. The moment information is missing, our minds rush in with a paintbrush. We connect dots. We build explanations. We create stories.
And the fascinating part is this: Once the story is complete, we often forget that we created it. We start treating it as reality.
The Parable of the Vessel Between Words
In a village, there was said to be a vessel that stood between every conversation of two people. No one could see it, yet everyone used it.
Whenever someone spoke, part of their words would fall into this vessel. And from everything that fell inside, the listener would immediately form meaning.
One day, a traveler said to his companion: “Sometimes we fill gaps too quickly with assumptions.”
The words fell into the vessel. And immediately, something began to take shape. “He thinks I’m doing something wrong,” the listener thought. So he replied: “Yes. Some people tend to overthink others.”
The vessel trembled slightly. The traveler stayed calm: “I didn’t mean anyone in particular. Just an observation.”
But in the vessel, a shape had already formed: criticism.
“So you see it as a problem,” the other said.
“No,” said the traveler, “I am only observing how the mind works.”
The shape shifted again. Arrogance, now it seemed. And so something subtle began to happen:
The more the traveler explained, the more solid the shape in the vessel became.
The clearer his intention, the more certain the listener became of his interpretation.
Until neither of them was really listening to what was being said anymore.
One spoke to be understood.
The other to protect himself.
And the vessel grew heavier. Not from words.
But from what had been made of them.
At some point, the traveler fell silent. Not because he had nothing left to say.
But because he noticed something:
Sometimes the vessel fills faster than words can empty it again.
And in that silence, the other thought: “See. Now he is offended.”
So they sat side by side. Each holding their own story inside the vessel. And both completely certain they had only reacted to what was really there.
🗣️ The Invisible Story-Maker
One of the teachings that first brought my attention to this tendency comes from The Four Agreements:
Don't make assumptions.
When I first encountered it, it sounded almost too simple. Today, I believe it may be one of the most profound agreements of all. Because assumptions are not merely wrong conclusions. They are moments when we stop observing and start inventing.
Moments when we say: "I don't actually know — but I'm going to act as if I do."
And most of the time, we don't even notice we've crossed that line.
The Cake Story
A friend and I have a little tradition: We go to our favorite bakery and buy half a cake together. We each eat a slice right away and take the rest home. It’s the perfect amount.
One day, though, he wasn’t in the mood for cake — but I was. So I asked:
“Would it be okay with you if I did this without you today?”
To me, the meaning was clear: Without him being there. Nothing more.
The next time we were at the bakery together, he asked:
“Should we share a whole cake today?”
I thought for a moment and replied: “But I don’t want a half.”
To me, that meant:
“I don’t want the whole half of the cake because that’s too much for me.”
To him, however, it meant: “I want more than half.”
When I asked how he had arrived at that conclusion, he referred back to the earlier situation. After all, I had ended up with the whole half of the cake that day. The detail he didn't know was that I had shared that piece with someone else.
So the first conclusion had already been built on incomplete information.
- "Without you" had become "alone."
- "Alone" had become "the whole half."
- And "the whole half" had become evidence that I now wanted a larger share of a whole cake.
What fascinated me wasn't that he was wrong. It was how natural the process felt. Each conclusion seemed reasonable once the previous assumption had been accepted as fact.
A missing piece of information quietly became the foundation for the next interpretation.
And before long, a complete reality had been constructed.
📈 How Assumptions Multiply
This happens everywhere. Someone doesn't reply to a message.
We think: "They're upset with me."
Then: "If they're upset, I must have done something wrong."
Then: "Maybe they don't value our friendship anymore."
A missing fact becomes a story.
The story becomes a belief.
The belief becomes an emotional reality.
All without a single verification.
The mind is astonishingly creative.
Unfortunately, it often forgets to label fiction as fiction.
Beyond the Four Ears
Many people are familiar with the Four Ears Model of communication. The same sentence can be heard in completely different ways depending on which "ear" is listening.
But assumptions add another layer.
We do not merely hear different messages.
We often add entirely new ones.
- A sentence is spoken ➡️ A motive is attached.
- An intention is imagined ➡️ A meaning is assigned.
And suddenly we are responding not to what was said, but to what we created around it. We step into a room that exists only in our minds and then wonder why the other person cannot see the furniture.
🧘♂️ The Spiritual Practice of Not Knowing
Perhaps one of the most underrated spiritual abilities is the ability to remain in uncertainty. Not knowing is often mistaken for weakness. Yet it may be a form of deep honesty.
To say:
- "I don't know."
- "This is only my interpretation."
- "I may be missing information."
- "There could be another explanation."
requires humility.
The ego prefers certainty.
The heart is often more comfortable with mystery.
The ego wants quick answers.
The heart remains curious.
The ego fills the silence.
The heart listens to it.
Reality and Interpretation
One of the most valuable questions we can ask ourselves is:
What actually happened?
Not what I think happened.
Not what I fear happened.
Not what would explain everything perfectly.
What actually happened?
The answer is often surprisingly short.
- A message was sent.
- A person was quiet.
- A sentence was spoken.
- A look was exchanged.
Everything else may be interpretation. And while interpretation is not inherently wrong, it becomes dangerous when we forget that it is interpretation.
The moment we confuse our story with reality, misunderstanding begins.
🕵 Discovering the Space Between What Is Said and What Is Understood
Perhaps wisdom is not found in the ability to explain everything.
Perhaps wisdom is found in our willingness to leave some spaces unfilled.
- To resist the temptation to rush toward certainty.
- To allow unanswered questions to remain unanswered for a little while longer.
- To ask instead of assuming.
- To become curious instead of convinced.
- To remember that reality is often far more nuanced than the story our minds create in the first five seconds.
The space between what is said and what is understood can become a battlefield. Or it can become a place of discovery. The difference is often a single sentence:
"I might be missing something here."
And sometimes that sentence is enough to save a friendship, a relationship, a conversation — or an entire worldview.
Reflections
- How often do I treat my interpretations as facts?
- When was the last time I discovered that a story in my mind was incomplete?
- Which assumptions do I repeatedly make about other people's intentions?
- Am I more comfortable with certainty or with curiosity?
- How would my relationships change if I became a little slower to conclude and a little quicker to ask?
Small Experiments
🔎 Separate Facts from Stories
The next time something emotionally activates you, take a piece of paper and create two columns:
Facts
What was actually said or done?
Stories
What am I adding, assuming, interpreting, or imagining?
Notice how much space often exists between the two.
😮💨 Practice the Sacred Pause
Whenever you catch yourself thinking: "Obviously they meant..."
pause and add: "Or maybe not."
Observe how this simple addition changes your emotional response.
🔄 Replace Assumptions with Questions
For one week, whenever possible, choose a question instead of a conclusion.
Not: "They must be upset."
But: "Are you upset?"
Not: "I know what they meant."
But: "Can you tell me what you meant by that?"
🤷 Befriend Not Knowing
Several times throughout the day, consciously say: "I don't know."
Not as resignation, but as freedom.
Notice how much energy is released when you no longer have to manufacture certainty.
🎨 Watch the Mind Paint
Spend a day observing how often your mind fills gaps.
- In conversations.
- In emails.
- In social media posts.
- In facial expressions.
- In silence.
You may discover that the mind is a brilliant storyteller.
And that awareness gives you the choice to enjoy the story without mistaking it for reality.
Because what is real
does not need to be completed
— only seen. 👁️
❤️💛💚
Yours and mine,
Comments
Post a Comment