πŸ”‘ The Responsibility No One Wants: The Quiet Theft of Our Own Power

Χ™Χ”Χ•Χ”

I've noticed something curious: Responsibility doesn't seem particularly popular. And I don't mean the big things. Not wars. Not politics. Not saving the world... I mean the small things. The everyday things. The quiet things. The things lying right at our feet.

A promise isn't kept: Stress was to blame. Someone gets hurt: Circumstances were to blame. A difficult conversation never happens: Timing was to blame. A dream remains untouched: Life was to blame.

And of course, there are reasons. There are always reasons. Not everyone begins from the same place in life. Some people carry grief. Some carry fear. Some carry wounds from childhood. Some carry exhaustion or invisible struggles that no one else can see. Some have mountains to climb before breakfast.

All of this is real. All of it deserves compassion. And yet, something continues to fascinate me: 

The reasons do not disappear when we take responsibility.
But responsibility does not disappear when we refuse to take it.

It simply remains.

Sometimes I imagine responsibility as something visible: A cloud. A cloud made of energy. Every time something is left unresolved, a little piece of it gathers there.

  • Every time a truth remains unspoken.
  • Every time a wound remains unexamined.
  • Every time we hand away our power.

And then we stand beneath this growing cloud, pointing in every direction. 

Over there. Back then. Because of them. Because of my parents, my past, my fate. Because of society. Because of the circumstances. Because of what happened to me.

And while we point, the cloud grows. Larger. Darker. Heavier. Not because anyone is evil. Not because anyone intends harm. But because no one transforms it. Hardly anyone says:

"Yes. At least part of this belongs to me."

πŸ”„ Where Circles Begin to Appear: When Every Step Leads Back to the Same Place

Over time, I began to notice how this pattern does not only live in thought, but in the quiet architecture of connection itself.

I have been in relationships where every disagreement slowly dissolved into something else — not resolution, not understanding, but repetition. As if the conversation had lost its forward motion and begun to turn in circles instead.

Blame became the air between words. Subtle at first, then heavier. Who caused this. Who misunderstood. Who failed to see.

And even when the intention was not harm, even when there was care beneath it all, something in the exchange stopped unfolding. It no longer moved toward life — only around itself.

And I remember the strange exhaustion of that place. Not the loud kind. The quiet one. The kind that comes when nothing is actually arriving anymore, even though so much is being said.

I have also witnessed many different ways people live with what shapes them.

I know many people with ADHD, and I have seen how differently this reality can be held. There are those who carry it like a landscape they are learning to walk — uneven, alive, sometimes difficult, but still theirs.

They listen to its weather. They notice their patterns. They take responsibility for the way they move through others, even while honouring what is harder for them.

And there are those who begin to speak from a place where the condition becomes the whole horizon. Where every limit is final, every pattern unchangeable, every possibility already spoken for.

And I understand why that sentence is so tempting. 

  • "I cannot because I am this."
  • "I cannot because this is how I am built."

There is something deeply human in wanting relief from the weight of change.

And still, beneath everything, I sometimes hear a quieter question — not as resistance, not as correction, but as a soft opening in the fabric of certainty:

Where does my influence still live, even here?

Not as blame. Not as demand. But as the faint return of movement — where something in us begins, again, to respond.

So Much Movement, So Little Arrival

We speak often of exhaustion as the consequence of carrying too much. And certainly, sometimes it is. But perhaps there is another kind of exhaustion as well:

The exhaustion of never reaching the deeper question.
The exhaustion of pouring our life force into repetition rather than transformation.

I find myself wondering what it is that burns us out. Maybe it is the endless circling around the same places...

  • The same wounds.
  • The same stories.
  • The same explanations.
  • The same questions of who was right and who was wrong.

Round and round and round. So much movement. So little arrival.

After all, even the strongest horse will eventually collapse if it spends its life running in circles. So perhaps responsibility does not drain our energy as much as we fear. Perhaps it is what finally allows our energy to move somewhere.

☁️ The Great Misunderstanding: Where Responsibility and Blame Part Ways

That is where a great misunderstanding begins: The moment responsibility enters the conversation, so many people only hear blame. Yet responsibility and blame are not the same thing. In fact, they often move in completely different directions.

Blame moves backwards, focused on the problem, and asks:

  • Who caused this?
  • Who started it?
  • Who made the mistake?
  • Who is at fault?

Responsibility is focused on solution, on the present and the future. It asks:

πŸ‘ What do I do with it now?

Life places things in our path. Some of them we created ourselves. Some of them we did not. Some arrive through the actions of others. Some seem to arrive from nowhere at all. But eventually, there they are.

Like a fallen tree across the road.

Perhaps a storm brought it down. Perhaps someone was careless. Perhaps it was simply fate. The question of blame may be interesting. But it does not move the tree. The tree remains.

So sooner or later, one way or another, the question will come up: What do I do with it now? 

Do I climb over it? Walk around it? Ask for help? Move it one branch at a time?

It's inevitable. And we have the choice of whether to spend another 42 hours trying to figure out who's to blame — or whether to save time and energy and just take matters into our own hands.

Perhaps this is where responsibility begins. Not with the question of who placed the tree there. But with the question of how we choose to meet it.

And isn't this also where self-empowerment begins? Because when we take responsibility, we are not merely accepting a burden... We are reclaiming something.

Something precious. Something powerful. We are placing our hands back on the steering wheel of our lives. We are gathering scattered pieces of our own energy.

Our ability
  • to respond.
  • to choose.
  • to create.
  • to grow.

And suddenly responsibility appears in a completely different light. Not as punishment. Not as guilt. Not as a heavy stone we are forced to carry.

But as a key. A golden key hidden in plain sight. A key that opens the door to the part of life we can actually influence. Perhaps that is why this old prayer has survived for so long:

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

There is something profoundly beautiful in those words. Because many of us spend lifetimes fighting things we cannot change. And many of us surrender things we absolutely can.

Somewhere between those two extremes lies a sacred space. Small but powerful:

The place where transformation becomes possible. The place where freedom begins. Not freedom from difficulty. Not freedom from pain. Not freedom from limitation. But freedom to respond. Freedom to participate. Freedom to shape what comes next.

And perhaps every form of growth begins there.

Every healing journey. Every spiritual path. Every meaningful change... Not with perfection. Not with enlightenment. Not with having all the answers. But with a simple and honest moment:

"Yes. This is here. And now, what shall I do with it?"

Because how can I ...

  • change what I refuse to touch?
  • grow from what I refuse to acknowledge?
  • discover my own power if I continuously hand it away?

Perhaps this is why responsibility feels so uncomfortable at times. Not because it takes something from us. But because it asks us to stop pretending we are powerless.

And that can be a frightening thing. Yet it can also be a beautiful thing...

Imagine, for a moment, a world where more people understood responsibility in this way. Not as guilt, self-condemnation or a moral obligation. But as self-empowerment.

Imagine people saying:

  • "Yes, that was my part."
  • "Yes, I can learn from this."
  • "Yes, I can grow here."
  • "Yes, I can choose differently."

Imagine friendships shaped by that. Relationships. Families. Communities. Conversations. Imagine the creativity that would be released. The honesty. The humility. The healing. The movement. The life.

The cloud would become lighter. Not because difficult things would stop happening. But because more people would be willing to transform what arrives. To carry their piece. To turn experience into wisdom. Pain into compassion. Mistakes into learning.

And perhaps that is all responsibility really is: 

The willingness to participate in the ongoing creation of our lives. To stop standing at the edge of our own story and watching. To step into it. To answer it. To shape it.

Not because we control everything. We don't. Not because everything is our fault. It isn't. But because there is always something that remains ours.

  • A choice.
  • A response.
  • A next step.
  • A spark of creative power.

Let's stop seeing responsibility as a stone we are forced to carry. And begin seeing it as the key to the quiet, unwavering truth that even within limitation, even within uncertainty, even within a world we cannot fully control — we still have the power to respond.

And I'm sure: the part of life we can actually shape is far greater than we have been led to believe.

❤️πŸ’›πŸ’š

Peace, Pow & Play ✨
Namast’ay Wild!
Yours and mine,

I & I 🦁

Comments

Popular Posts